Morelia´s Tourist Attractions and Architecture (Part 3)
Equestrian Statue of Morelos: Sculpted by the Italian artist José Inghillieri and dedicated to José Ma. Morelos. This piece is a patriotic symbol of freedom.
Morelos whole name was: José María Teclo Morelos y Pavón. He was born in September 30, 1765 in Valladolid, now Morelia. He was a Mexican Roman Catholic priest and revolutionary rebel leader who led the Mexican War of Independence movement, assuming its leadership after the execution of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla in 1811.
Morelos´statue is located in Plaza Morelos at the end of Calzada Fray Antonio de San Miguel right in front of the Aqueduct arches and the Sanctuary of Guadalupe.
Sanctuary of Guadalupe and Ex-convent of San Diego: Its construction started in 1708 and finished in 1716. The monastery was built few years later. Now, the building keeps the school of Law of the State’s University (Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo). The church has a baroque style decoration, which interior was made by Joaquín Orta in 1915.
Gabriel García Obeso’s Old Manor: Construction of neoclassic facade and baroque interior. It was built during the 18th century. The first conspiracy meetings for the Mexican Independence took place here. Nowadays it works as a bank.